About the 'Trip and the Trade'

This is a journey about connections, friendship, new experience, community service, and yoga. This idea quite appropriately came about during a yoga class. While I was supposed to be watching my thoughts pass like clouds through the sky of my mind, I was instead thinking hard…thinking about the road trip I was planning. I intended to drive through multiple cities visiting friends and family along the way. As I thought about this trip an idea began surfacing in stages. It went something like this: Oh no! How am I going to practice yoga while I’m gone??... Hmmm, I bet there are studios in most of these places …oooh, that’d be fun! Trying out new studios! ... and then I began to wonder about how I could integrate my yoga with community involvement. I love connecting with people and places. I kept thinking and by the end of the class decided that I would attempt to forge relationships with at least one studio in each location where I stayed, a relationship based on passion for yoga and interest in their community. That’s it! I would ask them if they would be willing to trade me one yoga class in exchange for a couple hours of my time giving back to their community, and THAT is exactly what I’m doing.

I will be blogging daily along the trip, mostly about my time with each studio and community. After my class with each studio I will dedicate a post to my experience there with photos and a direct link to their website. Although I am open to all that this trip will bring, I do have a few objectives. These objectives fall under two things: ‘Trip’ and ‘Blog’ and one crosses over into both:



Trip Objectives:

1. To connect with each location through community service

2. To experience a yoga studio in each community

3. To inspire people to incorporate yoga in their lives and get

involved in their communities as well as others



Blog Objectives:

1. To have a forum for writing and sharing my experiences

with others

2. To track/document my trip

3. To inspire people to incorporate yoga in their lives and get

involved in their communities as well as others



I have sent hard copy letters to a few studios in each of the places where I plan to stay. Getting to this point has been an interesting process. I vacillate regularly between excitement and fear. Excitement about meeting new people and doing good things in their community and fear of well…fear of failure. Will anyone be open to my idea? What if no one responds? Each time I feel nervous I remind myself to move forward with a heart and mind open to possibilities and yes, one of those possibilities is failure and that is okay. So here it goes, cheers to trying something new and being satisfied with unknown outcomes. I invite any of you that will be in the same locations as me to join me for a yoga class. The map with destinations, dates, and yoga studios is below. If you are interested in joining me for a class in your town during the dates I will be there please e-mail me at berghk@gmail.com and I will let you know what class(es) I will be attending and when. Cheers to The Trip and the Trade!




Sunday, November 21, 2010

Yoga Circle Studio - Snohomish, WA





Karen Guzak's
Yoga Circle Studio



http://www.yogacirclestudio.com/



Yoga Circle Studio was established in November of 2003, and is dedicated to providing a caring, non competitive, and beautiful environment that promotes self acceptance, happiness and improved health through Yoga and related body/mind practices.


Their teachers are experienced, wise, and well trained to help you increase your flexibility, strength, and peace of mind. Classes for all levels of experience are available seven days a week.
Yoga Circle Studio is a spa for your spirit, dedicted to honor and celebrate the circle of life.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I first learned about the Yoga Circle Studio from my very good friend, Sara Reed. Sara and I became friends when we were roommates in college at Whitman. Sara has been very supportive of The Trip and the Trade and was quick to put me in contact with Karen. Sara worked for Karen for a couple years and they have remained friends.



Karen Guzak is a dynamic woman! She is a yoga instructor, founded Yoga Circle Studio, is a prolific artist, and just happens to be the Mayor of Snohomish. Pretty amazing, no? I have to also mention Karen's fantastic home. Karen's home is a repurposed church and one of the most intriguing and special living spaces I've ever seen. The original building intent provides this space with lofty ceiling heights, an interesting floor plan, and many windows. Karen remodeled this structure and has infused every corner with art and things she loves. I could spend hours wandering around Karen's home touching and and looking at all the beautiful things. Then...there's the landscape... I could go on and on about her amazing garden.


Here is a link to a story that tells more about Karen and her partner Warner's home:



http://www.angelarmsworks.org/about-2/






Karen Guzak


http://www.karenguzak.com/



After communicating with Karen, I was very excited to take a class with her. My cousin Erica, a newcomer to yoga, was going to join me. I love introducing people to yoga! Upon entering the studio I was not at all suprised to find a beautifully decorated space.








Shortly after the door closed behind us, we were greeted by Dorothy who told us that Karen had been called away to an emergency Mayor's meeting and that she would be subsituting for her that morning. I immediately liked Dorothy and although I was sad not to be taking a class with Karen, I was excited to practice with Dorothy!


Meanwhile, Arthur (the doberman) had to wait in the car. Apparently he wasn't too keen on this as he decided to move into the front seat and fiddle with things until he set off the car alarm. Not having ever set off the alarm, it took me a minute to figure out how to turn it off. Once the ear piercing sound had ceased I gave Arthur the 'You better straighten up and fly right' look and back inside I went.




Dorothy has been studying movement technique and theory since she was four years old. She has studied with many master teachers. Her approach is light and loving while she imparts her considerable depth of expertise in the yoga poses. She is currently working on a degree in comparative Greek & Indian philosophy & philology.





After Erica and I signed in, we went into the studio space to get ourselves organized. As Erica and I sat and waited for the rest of the class to arrive, I told her some basic things that I wished someone had told me when I first started practicing yoga. Erica listened and was open to what I had to say and slowly the other yogis began to filter in. The studio space was completely full, we even had to shuffle some of our mats around to make sure everyone could fit.






Dorothy started the class with a gradual warm up. Beginning in a cross legged position she guided us through a practice in awareness. As we circled our torsos around our hips and knees, Dorothy encouraged us to think about our body/mind connection and where our bodies were in space.





Some of Karen's art is transferred on to the studio windows, stunning.



When I first met Dorothy, she came across as fairly soft spoken. I don't know why I even bother with first impressions anymore.


After Dorothy moved us from our initial seated position onto our feet she 'grabbed another gear' and her passion for yoga became clear. All of a sudden 'soft-spoken Dorothy' became 'Dorothy, the yoga jedi'. It was awesome! From this point until savasana, she lead the class using inflection in her voice and positive reinforcement to encourage us to make necessary alignment changes and to constantly reach for our edge in each stretch.


Dorothy guided us through long holds in poses like 'side-angle' while she walked through the class gently adjusting people and consistently asking us to go deeper into the pose without compromising form. Throughout all poses, Dorothy reminded us to find space between joints, to widen our collar bones, and to lengthen.


At the end of class, Dorothy provided us with a very effective method for clearing our minds. Throughout savasana she encouraged us to shed concerns, shed, worries, and shed fears - to let these things fall away like layers. I loved this imagery!


After our class Dorothy introduced me and I explained The Trip and the Trade. The class was more than happy to cuddle up for a photo. Thank you for the wonderful class, Dorothy, and thank you Karen - I'll look forward to your class next time I'm in town!




No comments:

Post a Comment