About the 'Trip and the Trade'

This is a journey about connections, friendship, new experience, community service, and yoga. This idea quite appropriately came about during a yoga class. While I was supposed to be watching my thoughts pass like clouds through the sky of my mind, I was instead thinking hard…thinking about the road trip I was planning. I intended to drive through multiple cities visiting friends and family along the way. As I thought about this trip an idea began surfacing in stages. It went something like this: Oh no! How am I going to practice yoga while I’m gone??... Hmmm, I bet there are studios in most of these places …oooh, that’d be fun! Trying out new studios! ... and then I began to wonder about how I could integrate my yoga with community involvement. I love connecting with people and places. I kept thinking and by the end of the class decided that I would attempt to forge relationships with at least one studio in each location where I stayed, a relationship based on passion for yoga and interest in their community. That’s it! I would ask them if they would be willing to trade me one yoga class in exchange for a couple hours of my time giving back to their community, and THAT is exactly what I’m doing.

I will be blogging daily along the trip, mostly about my time with each studio and community. After my class with each studio I will dedicate a post to my experience there with photos and a direct link to their website. Although I am open to all that this trip will bring, I do have a few objectives. These objectives fall under two things: ‘Trip’ and ‘Blog’ and one crosses over into both:



Trip Objectives:

1. To connect with each location through community service

2. To experience a yoga studio in each community

3. To inspire people to incorporate yoga in their lives and get

involved in their communities as well as others



Blog Objectives:

1. To have a forum for writing and sharing my experiences

with others

2. To track/document my trip

3. To inspire people to incorporate yoga in their lives and get

involved in their communities as well as others



I have sent hard copy letters to a few studios in each of the places where I plan to stay. Getting to this point has been an interesting process. I vacillate regularly between excitement and fear. Excitement about meeting new people and doing good things in their community and fear of well…fear of failure. Will anyone be open to my idea? What if no one responds? Each time I feel nervous I remind myself to move forward with a heart and mind open to possibilities and yes, one of those possibilities is failure and that is okay. So here it goes, cheers to trying something new and being satisfied with unknown outcomes. I invite any of you that will be in the same locations as me to join me for a yoga class. The map with destinations, dates, and yoga studios is below. If you are interested in joining me for a class in your town during the dates I will be there please e-mail me at berghk@gmail.com and I will let you know what class(es) I will be attending and when. Cheers to The Trip and the Trade!




Monday, October 18, 2010

Walla Walla - Back in the Saddle Again



Once I hit Milton-Freewater, I started to feel it - the sentiment that I get every time I visit Walla Walla - the feeling of familiarity, friendship, and good times. I pulled into downtown and took Arthur for a walk down Main St. When I was getting ready to cross the street, I saw my friend Kurt. We all made our way upstairs to Kurt's office to catch up. I love dog friendly offices :) - what a wonderful way to start my time in Walla Walla!

The next day I went out to Nichole's house to ride horses. I hadn't ridden since I sold my last horse almost two years ago and it had been almost three years since I'd ridden in a western saddle. Nichole was kind and put me on her trusty visitor horse 'Green Lantern' and he packed me all over. Good boy Greeney - treats for you next time I'm in town.




While I was out at Nichole's place I got to see Mary, Norma, and the always awesome Payden (Nichole's daughter). Payden is quite the budding rider. At two and a half she has a riding helmet - which she modeled for me, pink cowboy boots, and plenty of other riding paraphernalia - all pink of course - which she uses on her miniature horse - 'May May'. Pretty darn cute.




After riding I was lucky enough to be invited to have lunch with my friend Greg's mother, Karen. Karen gave me a tour of their beautiful yard and home. They have done so much work and it shows - looks amazing, Karen!
Of course, no trip to Walla Walla is complete without a stop at the Green Lantern Tavern (yes, there is a correlation between this establishment and the name of the horse I rode but you'll have to ask Nichole about that one). I think that the patio at the 'Green' is one of my favorites. Kurt and I sat out there listening to local stories, warming our hands over the fire, and had a great time.






I hadn't seen Kurt since he had moved to his new home so he gave me the tour. I met the miniature goat, miniature donkey, miniature australian shepard (do you see a pattern here?), and the sheltie - which when you get down to it really is a what?... miniature collie :). He made sure that I didn't leave empty handed - sending me away with garden vegetables and some great bottles of L'Ecole wine.


My good friend Marika was kind enough to open her home to me during my stay in Walla Walla. Marika and I have been friends for 12 or 13 years -- I can't remember. She is one of my favorite people. She and her husband Joel have a son, Emerson, and are expecting a daughter in less than a month. It was great to get to catch up with Marika and Joel, watch Emerson's soccer game, have dinner with her father, Paul, and just spend time at their great house.


It was only fitting on my last day in Walla Walla to eat at one of my favorite places...Ice-burg! I have never ordered anything but the Gershburger at this establishment and I wasn't about to break that chain. One Gershberger coming up. Kurt and Nichole met me for lunch and we went over to eat in the sunshine at Jefferson Park.
Seriously....so good.
After lunch Kurt took me out for a spin down Mill Creek Rd. in his vintage corvette. What a great way to end my time in Walla Walla. Brisk temperature and sunny day - I really love this place.

Happy Trails, Walla Walla - see you next time!

1 comment:

  1. Yea! Walla Walla, how I miss you! I, too, loved the Ice-Burg - especially, randomly enough, their grilled cheese sandwich. And Mill Creek Road! Is Professor Brick's old A-frame house still sitting akimbo in the Creek? Very cool pictures and narrative! Best of luck on the rest of your journey!
    Anne Zimmer

    ReplyDelete