About the 'Trip and the Trade'

This is a journey about connections, friendship, new experience, community service, and yoga. This idea quite appropriately came about during a yoga class. While I was supposed to be watching my thoughts pass like clouds through the sky of my mind, I was instead thinking hard…thinking about the road trip I was planning. I intended to drive through multiple cities visiting friends and family along the way. As I thought about this trip an idea began surfacing in stages. It went something like this: Oh no! How am I going to practice yoga while I’m gone??... Hmmm, I bet there are studios in most of these places …oooh, that’d be fun! Trying out new studios! ... and then I began to wonder about how I could integrate my yoga with community involvement. I love connecting with people and places. I kept thinking and by the end of the class decided that I would attempt to forge relationships with at least one studio in each location where I stayed, a relationship based on passion for yoga and interest in their community. That’s it! I would ask them if they would be willing to trade me one yoga class in exchange for a couple hours of my time giving back to their community, and THAT is exactly what I’m doing.

I will be blogging daily along the trip, mostly about my time with each studio and community. After my class with each studio I will dedicate a post to my experience there with photos and a direct link to their website. Although I am open to all that this trip will bring, I do have a few objectives. These objectives fall under two things: ‘Trip’ and ‘Blog’ and one crosses over into both:



Trip Objectives:

1. To connect with each location through community service

2. To experience a yoga studio in each community

3. To inspire people to incorporate yoga in their lives and get

involved in their communities as well as others



Blog Objectives:

1. To have a forum for writing and sharing my experiences

with others

2. To track/document my trip

3. To inspire people to incorporate yoga in their lives and get

involved in their communities as well as others



I have sent hard copy letters to a few studios in each of the places where I plan to stay. Getting to this point has been an interesting process. I vacillate regularly between excitement and fear. Excitement about meeting new people and doing good things in their community and fear of well…fear of failure. Will anyone be open to my idea? What if no one responds? Each time I feel nervous I remind myself to move forward with a heart and mind open to possibilities and yes, one of those possibilities is failure and that is okay. So here it goes, cheers to trying something new and being satisfied with unknown outcomes. I invite any of you that will be in the same locations as me to join me for a yoga class. The map with destinations, dates, and yoga studios is below. If you are interested in joining me for a class in your town during the dates I will be there please e-mail me at berghk@gmail.com and I will let you know what class(es) I will be attending and when. Cheers to The Trip and the Trade!




Saturday, October 23, 2010

OneWorld Spokane - Organic Community Kitchen













I finished up my time in Spokane by volunteering at One World Organic Community Kitchen down on east Sprague in what I was told is the 'Red Light District'. It was a grayish and cool morning as I drove up outside the building. The door was locked so I knocked and was greeted by Savannah who put me right to work washing dishes. As I washed, Savannah told me about One World.



One World believes that by empowering individuals through respectable wages, providing meals without shame, reducing food waste through the encouragement of personal responsibility, enhancing relationships with organic farmers, and creating an atmosphere where people from all socio-economic classes can eat fresh, organic food in-community, attitudes can change. And change in attitudes is on the cutting edge of change everywhere else.
The Vision of One World is:

* Dedication to serving local, organic unprocessed food
* Dedication to eliminating waste in the food industry and giving all members of the community
access to healthy, organic sustainable food
* Belief that we can trust our customers to be inspired, honest and fair in their exchange of
money and/or work for the fresh, organic food we will prepare mindfully and heartfelt each
day





The One World Cafe is a quaint space with high ceilings and interesting art. They not only have their own garden space out back, they also receive donations from community members from their own personal gardens. Some folks also donate meat. Savannah mentioned that one gentleman had been doing some lucky fishing and had dropped off a bunch of trout that they were excited to cook up. Someone had donated A LOT of tomatoes from their garden just before I had arrived. They wanted to give their tomatoes away before the freeze hit and there were tomatoes EVERYWHERE!






Someone had donated a large garbage sack of greens - collard greens maybe?? - so after the dishes were done, I was put to work picking and cleaning leaves.




As I made my way to the bottom of the sack a huge spider decided to crawl out and say hello - Aaaaaahhhh! Savannah and I almost had to ro sham bo to decide who had to take the compost bucket and said spider outside - ew! I did it, but I didn't like it!




Ah...look at the cute little potato pony running through collard green field :) And I digress...



After I finished cleaning the greens, I was put to work chopping sun-dried tomatoes and olives for a pasta salad. If Savannah had known my pension for slicing myself (I've taken a few stitch-worthy trips to the emergency room for accidentally cutting myself) she probably would have given me a different job, BUT I concentrated really hard and managed not to lose any digits - yay me.


As we worked Savannah and I talked about her aspirations for her community. She and her husband are committed to this part of town and would like to see improvements such as parks and trails. I shared my knowledge from working on trail and open space plans for other communities as well as information on possible land aquisition routes like the Trust for Public Land (TPL). Savannah is driven and I hope that others will follow her lead in the gentrification of this neighborhood.
After a few more rounds of dishes and some floor sweeping, I sat down to eat my meal.



As I ate, Steve (a nurse who volunteers twice a week) and Savannah continued to prepare food.



After I said good-bye to Savannah and Steve, I walked outside to take some photos of the One World garden space. The side of the building has been painted with a beautiful mural and a bicycle shop next door has installed some bike sculptures made of brightly painted metal tubing.






The mural works its way down the entire outside wall incorporating the door and other parts of the building.







The One World garden had taken a hit from the freeze the previous night but it was still awesome, full of tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and a lot of other things.












One World was a great place to volunteer. I appreciate their holistic mission and requirement of work in trade for food.I think that this is a better model than food for free. I hope that more and more of Spokane's community will support this business and others like it in this area. This neighborhood's location so near downtown makes it a perfect opportunity for gentrification and rehabiliation. Kudos to Savannah and the owners of One World for their foresight and dedication to the betterment of their community!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool place Kari. I will have to check it out next time Im over there!

    ReplyDelete